Dr Thomas Allinson succeeded in putting Queen’s Mill on the map nationally when his successors bought the lease in 1921 to produce his famous stoneground flour “with nowt taken out”.

Returning to traditional milling principles, out came the steel rollers in favour of a return to stones, though by now mains electricity supplemented the waterwheel, which nevertheless remained in operation until 1970.   Additional stones were added at various times until by the mid 1970s Queen’s Mill, with its 20 pairs of working stones, inherited the status of the world’s biggest stoneground flour mill.   Through various changes of ownership Castleford remained synonymous with the Allinson brand.